do you counsel in person only?
The short answer: no. As technology has grown, so have the ways for me to counsel women.
1. In person. In this traditional setting of counseling, you and I would meet in my ministry office in downtown Sycamore, Illinois, 60 miles west of Chicago.
2. By Skype using a webcam. We “meet” face to face, knocking down geographic boundaries. In case you aren’t familiar with Skype, it is a free service accessed from your computer, and Skype to Skype calls are free.
3. By phone. In special circumstances, I will counsel by phone. This permits you to get help without traveling or using a computer.
4. Webinars/email/Facebook chat. I provide additional help through webinars as well as by email and Facebook.
does Christian biblical counseling differ from psychotherapy?
Yes. Psychotherapy is secular counseling and thus God-less. It depends upon human reason to answer life questions about people, problems, and solutions. Christian biblical counseling, also known as pastoral counseling, depends upon Scriptural revelation to build a comprehensive, compassionate approach to who we are, what went wrong, and how to solve the issues of the soul. Secular counseling assumes that there is no final authority. Biblical counseling believes that God has given us all that we need for life and godliness.
Please do not assume that because a psychotherapist or psychologist is a Christian, he or she counsels using biblical principles. Ask questions, such as:
1. Do you believe the Bible provides the answers I need for life? Why or why not?
2. Do you pray for or with your clients during a session? Between sessions?
3. What training do you have in applying the truths of the Bible to life problems?
what should one expect during a biblical counseling session?
Expect the counselor to listen to your story and to pray. She’ll listen to you and talk with you like Jesus spoke with hurting people: the woman at the well (John, chapter 4), the woman who’d bled for 12 years (Matthew, chapter 9), and the woman caught in adultery (John, chapter 8) as well as many others he encountered.
She’ll help you see your situation in the grand story of redemption and give hope. The goal is heart change. As your inner self aligns with God’s plans and purposes for you, you’ll experience freedom and peace. You’ll know the abundant life of joy.
is biblical counseling more expensive than psychotherapy?
No. Biblical Christian counselors of a given church usually counsel the church members at no cost. For nonmembers, their fees are usually much lower than psychotherapists’ fees. For instance, after researching the typical fee of area psychotherapists, I set mine at less than half. I also offer discounts and will not turn away a potential client in economic hardship.
what are your fees?
The standard fee is is $40 a session. Each session is 55 minutes. You may pay per session (and even barter your own skills for a substantially reduced fee) or take advantage of a discount package (see below) as well as financial assistance
You may lower your counseling costs by choosing a discounted package of several counseling sessions. Here are the available packages:
4 sessions: $145. This is a $15 savings.
6 sessions: $200. This is a $40 savings.
12 sessions: $360. This is $120 savings.
To pay for counseling, please type in your preferred amount and click the Donate button.