I hate the Super Bowl.
I love football. Cheered the Irish alongside my dad on Saturdays. Now I tweet Bears on Sundays.
What’s the disconnect?
Any big event — including the Super Bowl in New Orleans on February 3 — is big business for traffickers of sex slavery.
The traffickers bus in the girls and women and boys on Super Bowl weekend.
The johns pay to indulge in sexual pleasure. They don’t care about the girls. Just themselves.
The slave owners pocket the money, lots of money: $9.5 billion throughout the world each year for sex slavery, according to Born to Fly citing the FBI. Human trafficking (all types, including forced labor) ranks #2 among all income-generating syndicates. Illegal drugs are #1; illegal arms are #3.
The average of sex slaves around the world is 11 years old.
Are You Angry?
Me too. Here’s a link to a brief video. It’ll get you real mad. Righteous anger! Warning: It’s disturbing.
What should you do with your anger? That’s the big question, a hopeful question.
You can make a difference. You can help end slavery.
Occasionally I’m awakened by a dream in which I’m the female version of Chuck Norris, karate chop my way into a brothel of sex slaves, and lead them to freedom.
But dreams won’t stop slavery at the Super Bowl. Action will. You can do more to end slavery than you might think.
How You Make a Difference
First. pray. Pray for the johns, the slaves, the traffickers, and the authorities. Pray how the Holy Spirit leads you.
Second, become aware. More and more websites and organizations are involved in stopping sex slavery through prevention, rescue, and aftercare. A few great ones are: Free the Slaves, Born to Fly, The Exodus Road, and International Justice Mission.
Third, decide how you’ll make a difference. A few ideas:
- Financially support groups that fight sex slavery.
- Discuss the book God in a Brothel (endorsed by many Christian leaders) in your Sunday school class or small group.
- Blog about sex slavery. The Exodus Road has a team of bloggers you might consider joining. Of course you can blog on your own.
- Involve your church’s youth group in a fundraiser to support organizations that prevent, rescue, and/or provide aftercare to sex slaves.
- Purchase a Save the Girls tee. I had these designed by a professional graphic artist to help spread the word about trafficking . I give 50 percent of the proceeds to Born to Fly, which helps prevent child slavery before it happens. Available sizes: M, L, XL. Only $12. Contact me to order. Ships within 36 hours. Here’s the graphic on the tee:
Remember, you can change your world because Christ has changed you.
Let’s start by praying during the Super Bowl. Are you game?
Get my blog posts by email. Easy. Fast.